Other

Service Opportunities through the Board of Deacons - 

The deacons at Alps Road Presbyterian Church are charged with strengthening our congregational care. They organize volunteers in a number of areas, such as note card writing, visitation of shut-in's, bereavement meals, Sunday morning greeters, and prayer chain members. If you would be interested in volunteering in one of these areas, please contact the church office.

Caring-Hands.jpg

Annual Offerings for Missions

ARPC supports 4 major offerings each year. These are sponsored by our denomination and allow us, as individuals and a congregation, to reach beyond ourselves, by pooling our resources with others, for the work of Christ.

One Great Hour of Sharing - Easter (April 5, 2015)

This offering is divided between the Presbyterian Hunger Program, the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance Program, and the Self-Development of People Program.

Pentecost Offering - Pentecost Sunday (May 24, 2015)

This offering is designated for children at risk, at home and abroad. 80% goes to the General Assembly for use with programs for children at risk and youth/young adult ministries. The other 20% is kept by the local congregation for work with children at risk in their community.

Peacemaking Offering - World Wide Communion Sunday (October 5, 2015)

This offering is divided between the local congregation, the presbytery, and the General Assembly for work with young adults and youth.

Joy Offering - Christmas (December 25, 2015)

One half of this offering goes for the support of retired church workers and their families. The other half is used to support racial ethnic schools related to the PCUSA.

Other Offerings for Mission and Ministry - Central also receives other offerings that enable us to support missions and reach out to others: The Caring  Hands Offering in support of Presbyterian Homes of Georgia (Mother's Day - May 10, 2015); The  Souper Bowl Offering (on Super Bowl Sunday for hunger needs); the John 21 Fund Offering to go to local and international hunger needs; the 52 Club Offering to benefit our church youth program; The Youth Endowment Fund Offering. 

 

 

 

 

Chili Cookoff Benefits ESP

photo-8.JPG

At our annual Chili Cookoff, we raised money for ESP (Extra Special People). Many great chefs from within our congregation brought their favorite recipes of homemade chili. Each person had the opportunity to sample a variety of recipes. Judges from ESP awarded prizes for the best in a number of categories. A good time was had by all and we raised over $1800 to go to ESP. We encourage anyone available to run in the MLK Day, 5K race, which will also benefit Extra Special People. 

A fun day of fellowship at the Chili Cookoff

A fun day of fellowship at the Chili Cookoff

 

All members are encouraged to support the race, either by volunteering or running/walking the race. Race registrations available on table outside church office or online at www.active.com.   Our youth host the chili cook-off each year in order to sponsor the race.  See you there!

ARPC's members had a great time participating in the ESP 5K race in 2014

ARPC's members had a great time participating in the ESP 5K race in 2014

Caring Hands Offering Raises Over $1400

On Mother's Day each year, our congregation receives an offering that goes to help those in need through the Presbyterian Homes of Georgia. This organization runs several retirement homes throughout Georgia. One of the principles they seek to adhere to is never having to tell someone they must leave because of lack of funs. The Caring Hands offering makes this possible. 

A member of our congregation has agreed to match the congregation's giving, dollar for dollar, up to $1000. Every dollar a person gives will be worth $2. It is a very worthwhile opportunity to do good to someone else. We will receive the Caring Hands Offering as a special over and above offering on Mother's Day. 

images.jpeg

This last year this offering supported 400 people who had run out of money. Larry Owens, who works with Presbyterian Homes of Georgia, shares one example. A woman named "Mable" (she said he could use her name) has been at a Presbyterian Home for 16 years. But she ran out of money after ten years. "I just lived too long," she said. She also said that it was a godsend not to have to relocate and change her friends and situation. She is a retired school teacher. Those who run out of money they go on medicaid. But that does not cover the cost of the facility. This Caring Hands offering covers the extra cost. It is a great service to these 400 people in Georgia who fall into this category. Often these are people of modest means, such as clergy and church workers and retired missionaries. This offering is of great help to these and is a real way we can reach out.